A very warm welcome to the Key Stage One page.
Please find below detailed information regarding staff members working with your child, class groupings and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the autumn term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
- Mrs Holt (Moonlight)
- Mrs Carr (Starlight)
- Mrs Jackson and Mrs Waters (Rainbow)
- Teaching assistants: Ms Kendal, Miss Hill, Mrs Robinson,Miss Withers and Miss Fowler.
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us.
All children have been placed within a registration class based on their age and this will remain the same for the academic year. During the school day, however, your child may move to other classes for English and Maths within the key stage to allow for teaching to be tailored to their needs. Within their class, your child will receive focused teaching to match their abilities and will be both supported and stretched to reach their potential.
If you have any something you wish to discuss about your child’s education or the school day, in the first instance, please could you contact your child’s pastoral class teacher who will endeavour to answer you query as quickly as possible. Should you feel the need to take the matter further, please contact Mrs Holt.
Below is some information about the upcoming term in KS1.
Learning in KS1
- In History, we will be learning about Grace Darling and are hoping to organise a school trip to a lighthouse to stimulate learning.
- In English, we are looking at writing to entertain and are beginning with the text, ‘The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch’.
- In Maths, children will begin the term looking at place value before moving on to addition and subtraction.
- In Science, we will be learning about animals including humans.
- In Art, our focus in the autumn term is drawing and painting in the style of Picasso as well as coastal collages.
- In Geography, the focus will be on developing the children’s knowledge of places around the world.
- In Computing, the children will learn to use a range of applications to communicate ideas.
- In PE, in the first half term, children will learn to play a variety of games and develop their athletics skills before moving on to dance and gymnastics in the second half of the autumn term.
- In Music, children will learn to listen and appraise a range of different types of music. They will take part in different musical activities and have the opportunity to perform and share within class.
- In RE, our focus for the first half term is Judaism.
- Every child should have a home-reading book and should be encouraged to read every night (even if it is just one page).
- It is expected that a child is reading their home-reading book and getting it changed twice a week (as a minimum).
- Please ensure your child’s reading log is signed once the book is complete so it can be changed within school.
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and moving their reading stages accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their English lessons and whole class guided reading.
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be completed by Monday.
- A homework overview will be issued alongside the first piece of homework, detailing what will be expected for the first half term.
- Children will receive weekly spellings to practise at home based on the spelling pattern they have learnt within class. There will be a spelling test on a Monday.
- Moonlight and Starlight’s PE day is a Monday.
- Rainbow’s PE day is Wednesday.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE uniform in school for their PE day and that long trousers and a jumper/hoodie is brought into school for outdoor PE.
- Please label your child’s PE kit.
- To keep updated on activities that we are doing, you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the ‘Our Class’ section of the website or if you have a Twitter account by following us on @RedRoseKS1
- Our main school Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary
Here is some information about the National Curriculum Assessments for Key Stage 1.
Please click an image below to view either the Key Stage 1 SATs information or the Phonics Screening Test given on Tuesday 23rd January 2018.