A very warm welcome to the Lower Key Stage 2 page. These two years see the transition from Key Stage 1 into Key Stage 2.
Please find detailed below information regarding staff members working with your child, class groupings and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the spring term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
- Miss Page (Galaxy)
- Mrs Beevers/Miss Herbert (Armstrong)
- Mrs Elliott (Apollo)
- Teaching assistants: Mrs Jennings, Miss Bradley, Mrs Gollings.
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems or comments, please, in the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher. If you need to speak further then please contact our Deputy Head, Miss Herbert.
As you will know, there are three classes within Lower Key Stage 2. During the morning sessions, when we deliver English and Maths, the pupils are organised across the 3 classes to allow teaching that is tailored to the needs of the pupils. This enables great support and challenge for all pupils to help them reach their potential.
During the afternoon, Miss Herbert will teach in Armstrong, releasing Mrs Beevers, to teach PE across Key Stage 2.
On Friday the children will take part in a carousel of lessons allowing them a varied and balanced curriculum. This will provide the children with practical real-life contextual activities deepening their knowledge and understanding of the world in which we live.
A typical ‘Fabulous Friday’ will consist of:
- Real-life investigative maths
- Personal, social and emotional education to build resilience – including Commando Joe.
- English, Geography and Computing activities – more information on the following page.
Please find below information about the curriculum in Lower Key Stage 2:
Learning in LKS2
- In History, we will be learning about the Roman Empire and its impact and legacy on Britain.
- In English, we are using the text ‘The Spiderwick Chronicles’ and focussing on developing character and setting descriptions.
- In Maths, children will begin the term focussing on multiplication and division then transferring these skills to reasoning and problem solving tasks.
- In Science, we will be studying electricity and creating circuits.
- In Art, we are focussing on Roman Mosaics.
- In Geography, we will be developing our knowledge of making and mapping connections between places locally and nationally.
- In Computing, we are developing our ‘coding’ skills and linking this to our English text ‘The Spiderwick Chronicles’.
- In P.E we will be focussing on Dance and Gymnastics.
- In Music, the children are learning to play notes on the Glockenspiel and improvise with these.
- In LKS2 we will be learning Spanish, focussing on learning basic greetings and introductions. We have decided to become a Spanish speaking school as it is the 4th most widely spoken language and a popular holiday destination.
- Galaxy & Armstrong’s PE days are Tuesdays and Wednesdays with Mrs Beevers.
- Apollo’s PE days are Wednesdays and Thursdays with Mrs Beevers.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school for their PE day and that long trousers and a jumper/hoodie is brought into school for outdoor PE.
- Please label your child’s PE kit. If your child attends an after-school PE club they may wish to bring additional kit.
- Every child should have a home-reading book and should be encouraged to read every night (even if it is just one page).
- Please ensure your child’s reading log is signed once the book is complete so it can be changed within school.
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and reviewing their reading stage accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their English lessons and whole class guided reading.
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be completed by Monday
- There will be spellings and Arithmetic every week.
- A longer task will be set every week to be completed in the purple homework book.
To keep updated on activities that we are doing you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the right side of this page or, if you have a Twitter account, by following us on @RedRoseLKS2
Our main School Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary
If you have anything you want to talk through, please come and discuss it with us.