A very warm welcome to the Lower Key Stage 2 page. These two years see the transition from Key Stage 1 into Key Stage 2.
Please find detailed below information regarding staff members working with your child, class groupings and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the autumn term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
- Miss Page (Galaxy)
- Mrs Beevers/Miss Herbert (Armstrong)
- Mrs Elliott (Apollo)
- Teaching assistants: Mrs Jennings, Miss Bradley, Mrs Gollings.
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems or comments, please, in the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher. If you need to speak further then please contact our Deputy Head, Miss Herbert.
As you will know, there are three classes within Lower Key Stage 2. During the morning sessions, when we deliver English and Maths, the pupils are organised across the 3 classes to allow teaching that is tailored to the needs of the pupils. This enables great support and challenge for all pupils to help them reach their potential.
During the afternoon, Miss Herbert will teach in Armstrong, releasing Mrs Beevers, to teach PE across Key Stage 2.
On Friday the children will take part in a carousel of lessons allowing them a varied and balanced curriculum. This will provide the children with practical real-life contextual activities deepening their knowledge and understanding of the world in which we live.
A typical ‘Fabulous Friday’ will consist of:
- Real-life investigative maths
- Personal, social and emotional education to build resilience – including Commando Joe.
- English, Geography and Computing activities – more information on the following page.
Please find below information about the curriculum in Lower Key Stage 2:
Learning in LKS2
- In History, we will be learning about Henry VIII as a significant historical figure.
- In English, we are looking at writing to entertain and are beginning with the text, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone.
- In Maths, children will begin the term looking at place value before moving on to the four operations of number.
- In Science, we will be studying rocks, soil and fossils.
- In Art, we will be learning to draw and paint in the style of George Seurat.
- In Geography, we will be developing our knowledge of new places focussing on Italy, this will develop the children’s map skills and cultural understanding. We will also look at the structure of volcanoes.
- In Computing, we will continue to develop our word processing skills using Google docs.
- Galaxy & Armstrong’s PE days are Mondays and Wednesdays with Mrs Beevers.
- Apollo’s PE days are Wednesdays and Thursdays with Mrs Beevers.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school for their PE day and that long trousers and a jumper/hoodie is brought into school for outdoor PE.
- Please label your child’s PE kit. If your child attends an after-school PE club they may wish to bring additional kit.
- Every child should have a home-reading book and should be encouraged to read every night (even if it is just one page).
- Please ensure your child’s reading log is signed once the book is complete so it can be changed within school.
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and reviewing their reading stage accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their English lessons and whole class guided reading.
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be completed by Monday
- There will be spellings and Arithmetic every week.
- A longer task will be set every week to be completed in the purple homework book.
To keep updated on activities that we are doing you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the right side of this page or, if you have a Twitter account, by following us on @RedRoseLKS2
Our main School Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary
If you have anything you want to talk through, please come and discuss it with us.