A very warm welcome to the Upper Key Stage 2 page. These two years see the culmination of the primary phase of education for the pupils.
Please find detailed below information regarding staff members working with your child, class groupings and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the spring term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
- Mr Ross (Discovery)
- Mrs Thomas (Mission)
- Mr Oliver-Elliott (NASA)
- Miss Williams (Lunar)
- Teaching assistants: Mrs Jennings, Mrs McCrea.
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems or comments, please, in the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher. If you need to speak further then please contact our Deputy Head, Miss Herbert.
NASA class is our Year 5 pupils and Discovery Class is our Year 6 cohort. During the morning sessions, when we deliver English and Maths, there will be an additional group of children also working in Mission with Mrs Thomas or Lunar with Miss Williams and Miss Herbert. There is a focus on presentation of work and also reading for understanding, with handwriting and reading being developed during English lessons. During the afternoon, the pupils are taught largely in their year group, with Mrs Beevers delivering the PE sessions across the key stage. We will also have a session using the Commando Joe resources which are designed to build resilience, team-working and problem-solving.
Please find below information about the curriculum in Upper Key Stage 2:
Learning in Upper Key Stage 2
- In History, we will be learning about where in the world the ancient Maya civilisation existed.
- In English, we are looking at writing to persuade through letters, information texts and adverts.
- In Maths, children will begin the term focussing on multiplication and division then transferring these skills to reasoning and problem solving tasks and extending into fractions and percentages.
In Science, in Year 5 we will be learning about forces and in Year 6 focussing on evolution and inheritance.
- In Art and design, we will be studying 3D structures and using mod-roc.
- In Geography, we are learning about a topic of ‘What Shape is Our World.
- In Computing, we will use IT to present some of our written work as well as developing our programming skills by using Scratch programming or SAM Labs modular programming.
- In STEM, one of our projects will be using a cam system to make a toy.
- In music, we will be looking at improvising using Three Note Bossa and Five Note Swing styles of jazz. Year 6 will work on a Stomp based composing project.
- In UKS2 we will be learning Spanish, focussing on learning to count and how to share our feelings. We have decided to become a Spanish speaking school as it is the 4th most widely spoken language and a popular holiday destination.
- Discovery’s PE days are on a Wednesday and Thursday with Mrs Beevers.
- NASA’s PE days are Tuesday and Friday with Mrs Beevers.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school for their PE day and that long trousers and a jumper/hoodie is brought into school for outdoor PE.
- Please label your child’s PE kit.
- Every child should have a home-reading book and should be encouraged to read every night (even if it is just a couple of pages).
- Your child will be keeping their reading record updated as they read during the week..
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and moving their reading stages accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their English lessons and whole class guided reading.
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be completed by Monday
- There will be spellings and Arithmetic every week.
- For Year 5, a longer task will be set every other week to be completed in the purple homework book.
- For Year 6, a grammar and reading activity will also be set.
To keep updated on activities that we are doing you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the right of this page or, if you have a Twitter account by following us on @RedRoseUKS2
Our main School Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary
Please find information about the upcoming National Curriculum assessments.
Information about last year’s National Curriculum Tests and last year’s Residential can be viewed by clicking the link below. We will add information about this year as we get it.
You can pause the presentation to look at it at your leisure.
To help with maths calculations, please use this guide to everything maths! – Click here to access it