A very warm welcome to the Key Stage One page.
Please find detailed below information regarding staff members working with your child and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the autumn term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
|Moonlight||Mrs Carr||Mrs McCrea
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you have any questions or queries regarding your child’s education or the school day, please contact your child’s pastoral class teacher in the first instance who will endeavour to answer your query as quickly as possible. Should you feel the need to take the matter further, please contact Mrs Brinton.
Learning in Key Stage 1
- In English, we are beginning the term by looking at writing to entertain before moving on to writing to inform later in the term.
- In Maths, children will cover various topics in the autumn term. Y1 children will cover topics including place value, addition and subtraction and shape. Y2 will cover topics including place value, addition and subtraction, money and multiplication.
- In Computing, children will learn how to independently log on to the computer and will use a range of applications to communicate ideas. They will also begin to explore coding.
- In Art, children will begin the first half term by exploring collage before moving onto painting in the style of Norman Cornish in Autumn 2.
- In RE, children are going to explore Christianity through exploring why the bible is special to Christians.
- In PE, children will be focusing on games and athletics.
- In Music, children will learn to listen and appraise a range of different types of music. They will take part in different musical activities and have the opportunity to perform and share within class.
- In Science, we going to be looking this term at everyday materials.
- In History, the children are going to explore the local history, including mining.
- In Geography, the children will look at the location of school, discussing the physical and human features of the local area.
- Your child has received their home-reading book which will be read at least once a week with an adult in school and should also be read frequently at home.
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and moving their reading stages accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their phonics lessons and whole class guided reading.
- Detailed below are the days for KS1 PE:
- Monday: Moonlight
- Tuesday: Rainbow and Starlight
- Wednesday: Rainbow and Moonlight
- Thursday: Starlight
- Please ensure your child comes to school wearing the correct PE uniform on their specified PE days.
- Long trousers and a school jumper/hoodie are to be worn for outdoor PE. Further detail regarding PE kit can be found on our website.
- Please label your child’s PE kit and their school uniform so items are not lost within school.
Upcoming Visits and visitors
NUFC coach will be working with Rainbow, Moonlight and Starlight children weekly on fundamental movement.
- To keep updated on activities that we are doing, you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the side of this page or if you have a Twitter account by following us on @RedRoseKS1
- Our main school Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary