A very warm welcome to the Upper Key Stage 2 page. These two years see the culmination of the primary phase of education for the pupils.
Please find detailed below information regarding staff members working with your child, class groupings and additional information about the teaching and learning that will take place within the spring term.
As well as your child’s class teacher, there will also be some other members of staff who may work with your child this year:
- Mr Oliver-Elliott (Discovery)
- Mrs Thomas (Mission)
- Miss Page (NASA)
- Mrs Behan (Lunar)
- Teaching assistants: Mrs Jennings, Mrs Appleby
We are all looking forward to an exciting year ahead. If there are any problems or comments, please, in the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher. If you need to speak further then please contact our Deputy Head, Miss Herbert.
Our year 5 classes are NASA and Lunar. Our Year 6 classes are Discovery and Mission.
Please find below information about the curriculum in Upper Key Stage 2:
Learning in Year 6
- In English, we are beginning the term by looking at ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ By Lemony Snicket. We will be taking inspiration from the book for our writing.
- In Maths, children will cover various topics in the autumn term. We will begin with Place Value up to 10 million, moving onto the four operations and completing the term by revisiting fractions.
- In Computing, children will continue to explore coding with Mr Ross.
- In Art, children will begin the first half term by exploring media through landscapes and looking closely at the work of David Hockney. In DT, we will look at textile design.
- In RE, children are going to explore religious diversity in the local area and then the Gospels.
- In PE, children will be focusing on swimming, games and dance.
- In Music, children will learn to listen and appraise a range of different types of music. They will take part in different musical activities and have the opportunity to perform and share within class.
- In Science, we are beginning the term by looking at the circulatory system.
- In History, the children are going to investigate the civilisation of the Ancient Greeks.
- In Geography, the children will consider why our world is shaped the way it is.
Learning in Year 5
- In English, we are beginning the term reading The Nowhere Emporium and the children will focus their writing on a suspense narrative. Later in the term we will read Treasure Island and Around the World in 80 Days.
- In Maths, the children will cover various topics in the autumn term including Place Value, Addition and Subtraction, Statistics, Multiplication and Division and Perimeter and Area.
- In Computing, the children will access Scratch and learn to use more advanced features.
- In Art, the children will learn about The Bayeux Tapestry and create a piece based on this.
- In RE, the children will learn about Moses and why he was and is important to Jewish people.
- In PE, the children will focus on learning new games and taking part in Athletics.
- In Music, the children will learn to sing Harvest Festival songs and will also learn the rap from the theme tune to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
- In Science, the children will learn about Space before moving onto Properties and Changes of Materials.
- In History, the children will learn about The Anglo-Saxons.
- In Geography, the children will consider the question, ‘What shapes my world?’ and base their learning around this.
- In Design Technology, the children will learn about pulleys and gears and will design their own vehicle.
- Year 6’s PE days are on a Monday (Swimming) and Wednesdy.
- Year 5’s PE days are Tuesday and Friday.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school for their PE day and that long trousers and a jumper/hoodie is brought into school for outdoor PE. For this term, pupils should come to school wearing heir PE kit on these days.
- Please label your child’s PE kit.
- Every child should have a home-reading book and should be encouraged to read every night (even if it is just a couple of pages).
- Your child will be keeping their reading record updated as they read during the week..
- We will be assessing your child’s reading regularly and moving their reading stages accordingly. This will be based on your child’s fluency and their ability to answer comprehension questions on the text they are reading.
- The children will practise their reading skills within school in both their English lessons and whole class guided reading.
Visits and Visitors
- Jak from NUFC will be working with Year 5 and 6 as part of the Commando Joe’s character building programme.
- Virtual Conference with OASES as part of our Climate Change Project that Year 6 are working on in class.
- Year 5 will be taking part in a Gymnasitics Festival.
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be completed by Monday
- There will be spellings and Arithmetic every week.
- All the tasks will be listed on the Google classroom for the year group.
To keep updated on activities that we are doing you can follow our Twitter Feed either on the right of this page or, if you have a Twitter account by following us on @RedRoseUKS2
Our main School Twitter handle is @RedRosePrimary
Please find information about the upcoming National Curriculum assessments. We will update this with this year’s news as we recieve it.
You can pause the presentation to look at it at your leisure.
To help with maths calculations, please use this guide to everything maths! – Click here to access it